Thursday, June 23, 2011

Dang district

I spent a week in a tribal district called Dang in the south of Gujarat. It is home to indigenous tribes called the Daangis. The district head quarters are in a village called Ahwa. The district is heavily forested and until recent years was mostly inaccessible and had limited political or economic significance. The district has recently gained a lot of importance due to its rich resources which the government and private corporations are super keen to exploit. With very poor health care and access justice, people in dang are often witness to brutal land evictions and displacement without any compensation. This region is also known for its Witch Trials, a common practice there. I have many stories to share when I see you.

There was extraordinary madness in that land, in its forests and in its people :)






No comments:

Post a Comment